Ways to Save Energy and Increase Comfort in Your Santa Clarita Home This Summer
You don’t have to sacrifice comfort to save energy this summer. Some improvements to your Santa Clarita home will make your home more comfortable and save energy. Here are some examples.
- Make sure your air conditioner is the right size for your Santa Clarita home. Many people think bigger is always better. Not so. If your air conditioner is too large for your home, it will not reduce the humidity sufficiently. Lower humidity equals comfort in the summer. You may find that you can keep the thermostat a few degrees higher and be just as comfortable, as long as humidity is low.
- Shade your air conditioner. It will have to work harder if it’s out in the sun.
- Keep a/c filters clean.
- Use your window treatments wisely. Always try to close drapes or lower shades on the sunny side of the house. In the morning, you’ll want to keep sun out on the east side, and in afternoon you’ll need to block sun on the west side.
- Minimize sun exposure on the west side of your home. If you’re not home in the daytime to raise and lower shades, the most important thing to do is to keep out that afternoon sun. If you have large windows or sliding glass doors on the west side of your home, be sure to use some kind of insulated window treatment that keeps out sun and heat. There are many options these days, including cellular shades, solar shades, roman shades, as well as the more traditional curtains and drapes.
- Shade the outside of your Santa Clarita home. Yes, keep the sun out before it hits the glass and causes heat to build up. Plant trees on the west side of the house, or for a quicker fix, erect an arbor and plant fast-growing vines. If neither of these is an option, you can invest in some exterior shades. These are all-weather shades that keep out the sun but allow enough light through for an unobstructed view out the window.
If you’re looking for a new home where you can be comfortable and save energy, give me a call at [661-505-timv] or email me at [firstname.lastname@example.org].
And check out my website at www.VWSellsHomes.com. No obligation, just information.