Questions for Divorcing Couples Selling Their Santa Clarita Home
The housing downturn has a lot of divorcing couples struggling to decide what to do with their Santa Clarita home. Especially when the house is the largest marital asset, the situation can easily become contentious and unclear. Here are five questions to ask yourself before deciding what to do with your shared property.
- Does keeping your Santa Clarita home make financial sense? Often,
once a couple splits, neither party can afford the mortgage payment and maintenance of the house by themselves. If this is the case, selling is most likely your best option.
- Could you manage to keep living together while separated? When
going through a divorce, you may not be able to stand each other’s sight. It
won’t work in every situation, but you might want to tough it out and continue
sharing the house (just with different bedrooms) until the market rebounds and
you can make a profit.
- Are your emotions getting the better of you? Many people can’t help
but develop a strong emotional attachment to a house. That’s certainly understandable, but it doesn’t always make the most monetary sense. It might help if you try viewing the house like any other asset. You’re unlikely to let emotion come into play regarding the yard tools and bedspreads; try to treat the house the same way.
- How will you split the proceeds? You’ll want to make sure you have a plan in place to split the proceeds when the house does sell. If not, you could be thrown back into a huge argument instead of finally moving on with your life.
- What if one of you won’t agree to a price? The negotiation
process won’t go smoothly if it comes down to an argument between the
two sellers. Therefore, you should have some sort of agreement as to your
bottom-line price. Also, you’ll need to decide how you’ll handle counter offers.
If you need help determining if now is the best time to sell your Santa Clarita home, call me at [661-505-timv] or email me at [firstname.lastname@example.org]. And check out my
website at www.VWSellsHomes.com.