How to Downsize to a Smaller Santa Clarita Home
Many people are downsizing these days, either because they’re empty nesters and no longer need the room, they’re getting older and want a smaller space to maintain, or they’re reducing their financial burdens or environmental impact.
If you’ve made the decision to downsize to a smaller Santa Clarita home, here are five tips to help you make the transition:
- Start early: Downsizing to a smaller home is much less stressful if you have plenty of time to sort through your belongings to figure out what you’re getting rid of and what you’re keeping. Plan to do this at least a month before you put your home up for sale. (Bonus benefit: it makes your house less cluttered and more desirable to buyers.)
- Evaluate your needs: Take an honest look at your lifestyle and what you truly enjoy. Are you really going to learn to play that piano? If you haven’t used it or thought about it in over a year, the answer is probably no. Advertise it in your local newspaper and sell it! With anything you’re having a hard time letting go of, put it in storage for six months. If you don’t think about it during that time, give it away or sell it.
- Measure the rooms in your new Santa Clarita home: Measure the rooms in your new home as well as the furniture you want to take with you. Then, create a floor plan of your new home, including the location of doors and windows and where you can place each piece of furniture. You know what to do with any furniture that doesn’t fit.
- Assess the storage in your new home: While you’re getting room measurements, make sure to evaluate the storage situation in your new home. Will you have fewer kitchen cabinets? How many closets will you have? To make up for lost space, search for hidden storage options and consider investing in inexpensive storage systems.
- Relax and enjoy: You no longer have to worry about the financial burden or time-draining tasks of maintaining a big home.
If you need help selling your current home or finding a smaller Santa Clarita home to buy, give me a call today at [661-505-timv] or email me at [email@example.com].