Practice Fire Safety in Your Santa Clarita Home
You know what an ounce of prevention is worth? In the case of fire, it’s worth your Santa Clarita home and everything in it. Here are six tips to prevent fire from devastating your home.
- Repair or replace appliances that repeatedly cause fuses to blow or circuit breakers to trip. This indicates the appliance is causing an overload that could lead to fire.
- Keep your clothes dryer’s lint vent clean. Lint is highly combustible. Make it a habit to clean out the lint trap after every load. Also, make sure the flapper to the exterior is opening while the dryer is running. Keeping lint cleared out not only prevents fire, it also helps your clothes dry quicker and saves energy.
- Know where your main gas shutoff valve is. If you use natural gas or propane, make sure you know where to shut it off in case you smell a gas leak. The main valve is usually near the meter or tank. Go outside to call your gas company to prevent the phone from setting off a spark that could ignite the gas. Never turn the gas back on yourself.
- Practice fireplace safety. Keep fireplaces clean by having them inspected annually by a certified chimney specialist. Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door. Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
- Install smoke alarms.
- High on walls
- On every level of your Santa Clarita home
- Outside every bedroom
- Inside bedrooms if you close doors at night
- Test their batteries every season; make it part of your equinox/solstice rituals
- Invest in fire extinguishers
- Make sure they are ABC rated
- Learn how to use them and review instructions periodically
- Have one on each level of your Santa Clarita home
- Have them serviced annually
Don’t risk the loss of your Santa Clarita home (or your life and family!) to fire. Fire prevention is easy, recovering from fire is not. For more safety tips, subscribe to my blog – it’s free!